Thursday, September 14, 2006

Wednesday, September 13

This evening I brought the listening stations to Rittenhouse Square, in Center City Philadelphia. I was there as part of the Philadelphia Open Studio Tours' artist's table. The table, and my stations, were set out to take advantage of the crowd gathered for the last of the Concerts in the Park series.
I arrived around 6:30, with Ken's help.

As people gathered to listen to the dj opening for the live band, a few folks ventured to try out the stations.



The first to stop were a young boy and his Aunt, with little sister in the stroller. He wanted to try using it with me, but about 20 seconds into his minute of being listened to, decided that he'd rather use it with auntie.
It took some doing, but eventually this fellow used the station for two minutes each with me. He had some interesting insights into the sociological aspects of my project, after listening to me muse on the differences in the crowd at rittenhouse and the people who are usually coming by at 40th and Walnut.

While he and I were using the station, these two women sat down on their own and shared 5 minutes each.
as darkness fell, I found that fewer folks were willing to stop and try the stations. Or, it might have been the excellent grooves coming from the band on stage.

I used the station with two of the other Philadelphia Open Studio Tours artists. Shortly after taking a turn with one of them, I left to find a bathroom. I encouraged her ( not pictured) to use the station with someone else while I was gone. She found a young man to try it out with her, and apparently made a nice connection with him

The last visitor of the evening was a woman who had just come from visiting the grand opening of a new pet store with her dog.
If you used the listening station at Rittenhouse ( or if you didn't), please post a comment on your experience or thoughts on this project!

The Listening Stations will be back out at 40th and Walnut
( weather permitting, check back here later today)
from 4-7 pm
Today, Thursday the 14th, Friday 15, and Saturday 16 of September, 2006.
see you on the street!

No comments: