Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Tuesday, August 15


Another late afternoon in the sun... my housemate Michael helps me carry the stations from the studio, and then has to run to do an errand.

I get set up, and then hang back at the wall for a few minutes. A woman about my age comes to rest on the wall, but declines to try the station. After over-hearing me explaining the project to a couple of other passers-by, she decides to try it out after all ( not pictured). We take 2 minutes each, and she tells me that this is a different kind of experience- she is accustomed to writing her thoughts out, but not speaking them in this way.

After she leaves, a few of the same friendly young travelers from yesterday stop by, bringing others with them. The woman who had been here before explained to two others how to use the station, while I oriented two men who took an interest at the same time.


I get to hold their puppy while the stations were in use. This dog has a reputation for being a bad-ass, because on the night of the police confrontation, he made his way on his own from center city all the way back to the west philly squat house these folks are staying in. ( see Monday, August 14)


Everyone dispersed, and my next taker is a warm-hearted fellow-artist. Here he is perusing the use-log chart. After our 2 minutes each, he gave me a warm hug, and reminded me to stay real, as I am.


Towards the end of the hour, a pair of young boys biked up with curiosity. They tried it out for one minute each, using it in the spirit of a game, as I had noticed other young people have done. When they finish, one of the boys asks if they can do it again!


They take another 2 minutes each before getting back on the bike to go to football practice.


if you've tried it, don't forget to post a comment on your experience with the listening station!

2 comments:

Carl M. Cohen said...

From yesterday's blog it looks like a very interesting day at the listening station. This could turn out to be one the great social science experiments of the decade. Kind of reminds me the spirit behind those "everyone in the city read the same book" things. I can see the headlines "Artist in Philly – City of Brotherly Love - Promotes communication among citizenry" Maybe the city could endow this as a permanent installation.

Bill'sBlog said...

Stupendous concept and delivery. thanks for a terrific 5 minutes with my friend Marsha. Who ever thought one could do nothing but 'listen' for five whole minutes!