Monday, August 07, 2006

Tuesday, July 25

Today I started in the sun near the curb and moved back towards the buildings once the shade there was large enough. Definately not as visible there.
Again, sitting at the station, asking: " would you like to try the listening station?"
responses vary from being ignored, politely declining, slight interest, and a few takers.
the first participant is a young man with an interest in public art, who comments on the gentrification of the neighborhood, and suggests video documentation of the listening station- something that is definately on my list for future installations. He also told me that he doesn't have to work until 3, he's hanging out until then, and will probably go smoke a joint before work.
The next young man I talk with is not willing to sit, so we take turns listening to each other standing over the listening station. He uses his whole time asking me questions that I don't answer, about where the bus goes, where there's an atm from his bank, and whether I have a boyfriend.
And then, I do get a woman who is waiting for the bus- we have just enough time to listen to each other for one minute each before the bus arrives. She tells me about renovations to her apartment, and the blueberries she had in her cereal for breakfast.

For my part, I am noticing my variable comfort level with my turn to speak with these participants. Sometimes I feel free to talk about what is going on in my life, other times I am more nervous, and talk mostly about my worries regarding how the project is going.

No comments: